Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Anxiety and Ministry


Anxiety and depression in the ministry are real. I recall Alistair Begg saying once that his session on “Pastoral Depression” at a conference he spoke at was overwhelmingly attended, a fact that only hints at the serious and widespread nature of the issue. Without becoming unduly autobiographical myself, I have sensed over the years (increasingly so as I’ve moved more and more into ministry) that this will be an issue that I personally will need to wrestle through in the grace and strength of God for the sake of a fruitful ministry.

As part of that wrestling, here are a few brief thoughts on the matter that I find helpful.

1.     Relentlessly seek to identify the root of your anxiety.

The nature of anxiety is that it tends to be blinding. We feel as if we are in a fog and unable to discern what it is that is causing us to feel the way we feel. Often, there are a number of contributing factors to our worry, which only makes it harder to isolate the source. Isolate, however, we must. Without spinning ourselves in circles, we must attempt to pinpoint the leak in our joy that we may plug it with the promises of God. Hopefully, as time goes on, we will be able to move from saying, “I feel anxious,” to a more concrete expression of worry such as, “I fear I won’t be accepted by those I minister to,” or “I’m distressed regarding this choice I must make.”

2.     Courageously seek to communicate with others about your anxiety.

Again, the nature of anxiety is such that it tends to isolate us from others. A dear friend may be calling on the phone, but you feel unable to even begin to answer. A loved one may perceptively ask how you are, but a strange reluctance to articulate the truth resides upon your tongue. What are we to do in such situations? Silence can be deadly to our progress out of the valley, and so we must courageously confide in a trusted soul. A detailed explanation is unnecessary to begin- a brief statement will do: “I could use prayer for anxiety” or “I’m lacking in peace as of the moment.” From there, God will best direct the course of the conversation in order to bring the needed care.

3.     Ruthlessly seek to comfort yourself with the promises of God.

Finally, though we are grateful for the fellowship and encouragement of other believers, the ultimate source of our comfort must be our God, who “comforts the depressed,” is “near to the broken-hearted,” and who “a bruised reed he will not break.” Recollect that Christ, who has known untold sorrow, has offered- even guaranteed- to never leave you or forsake you. Remind yourself, even if in the moment it seems to do no good to you, that no depth of despair can separate you from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus. Let these and the other promises of God be the rain that waters your desert soul, refusing to obtain comfort from the world or the things of it. Surely our Adversary knows that when we are weak his enticements hold great allure, and so he will seek to tempt us in these moments. By faith, however, hold on the promises of the Faithful One.

1 comment:

  1. I found this to be a good perspective which reduces much of my anxiety. http://swerve.lifechurch.tv/2007/04/17/credit-and-blame/

    My friend TJ Adington often says we need to lead as if we have "nothing to lose and nothing to prove." I wish I could say I am there, but I am not. It is a freeing place of ministry that I hope to attain some day. I am moving in that direction.

    ReplyDelete