Wednesday, March 7, 2012

from the archive: 2/20/08

Psalm 18:17 “He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from those who hated me, for they were too mighty for me.”

David’s plight was very grave. Elsewhere in this same psalm he makes known that his enemies had in view nothing short of bringing his life to an end: “the cords of death encompassed me” and “the cords of Sheol surrounded me.” For his part, this man after God’s own heart saw no human means of escape, his adversaries being “too mighty.” Yet, he deemed, what is that to God? And so he called upon his Rock and his Deliverer, who rushed to his rescue. And how great and terrible was the deliverance wrought! For God was as a mighty Warrior on David’s behalf. The very earth was in tumult on account of God’s wrath, and He Himself came down from His high place in the heavens, “with thick darkness under His feet” as “He sent out His arrows,” routing His anointed one’s foes.

David’s God is our God. He came down also for us, as Jesus Christ, and won a victory greater even than that described in this psalm, inasmuch as it was over greater and more terrifying enemies. For on the cross Christ did not merely vanquish temporal foes, but rendered death itself powerless, conquering over sin and the grave. These adversaries were “too mighty” for us, yet we might call on our Great Deliverer and say with David the opening lines of this song:

“The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, in whom I take refuge; my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and am saved from my enemies.”

No comments:

Post a Comment