Sunday, February 5, 2012

Now, about that PhD...

Those closest to me know that for years I've envisioned (dreamed?) of going on to PhD work and someday teaching in an academic institution. As such, I'm always on the lookout for information related to that path (thanks to everyone who has recently counseled me in these matters). Suffice it to say, not a whole lot of the statistics out there are all that encouraging in terms of what a person with a PhD can look forward to in the job market (in the humanities and in theology that is). This post I present as exhibit "A" of what the academic forecast shows: http://marccortez.com/2012/01/06/how-bad-is-the-job-market-for-phds/.

Don't misunderstand me: info like this shouldn't ultimately deter anyone. It's tantamount, however, to Jesus' call to discipleship: better count the cost.

On the upside, Cortez's statement about "a dual-career option where your full-time time job supports your (adjunct) teaching passion" doesn't sound all that bad...

As always, opinions and comments are most welcome!

2 comments:

  1. I know a man who obtained a PhD in Theology from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. He was originally from England which contributed to his eschatology. He was an evangelical Amillinialist. His evangelicalism kept him out of consideration for many mainline seminaries and his Amillinialism kept him out of most evangelical schools. His gifting didn't lend itself to pastoral ministry. He is back working for GE designing airplane engines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,
      This type of anecdotal evidence coupled with raw stats can be quite discouraging, I'm sure you'd agree, for those sensing a call in that direction. Most of the counsel I received said to go the route of a state university or some non-evangelical seminary of repute if I really wanted to do doctoral work. Even then, though, the prospects are dim for a tenured teaching position: still a lot of PhD's out there from the very best schools.
      I'm surprised, though: no Reformed seminaries out there that would welcome the Amillennial view of your friend?

      Delete