Sunday, February 5, 2012

Thoughts from others on distance seminary

So, this morning I changed the title of my blog (after only one day!). In the process, some replies to my post about distance seminary were lost (sorry guys). I've copied them here:

From DeDe:
Hi Aaron,
I love the question! As you may recall, my husband is a college professor, and when "distance ed" made its debut a decade or so ago, he was one to ask the same question. That is, can ALL subject matter be adequately conveyed through distance ed. methods?

Personally, having considered pursuing an online masters degree program, I can say that I have the most respect for institutions that offer online degrees but insist on some amount of face-to-face and on-site hours. I don't believe any institution can adequately appraise someone's aptitude, performance level, and character without some face-to-face contact.

Look forward to hearing more from you on your blog. How do you like Moody? I am impressed with every graduate of Moody with whom I currently am acquainted ...so I can only imagine this will be a great experience for you.

Blessings!

From Pastor Dave:
I have done both residential and distance (directed study & modular). The answer to your question involves another question - is ministry preparation a task to complete or a journey to begin. Having finished 2 ministry degrees (and working on my 3rd), I would answer the later.

Residential programs can communicate more data quicker, but taking one class at a time allows me to think more deeply about the implications and integration of the subject at hand. I value the collegiality of doing modulars because I learn from peers. I value distance learning because I have a local pastor(s) practitioner who keeps me grounded and accountable. As well as a local ministry which serves as a "lab" for the theories presented in curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment