Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Now, as for gifts...

So yesterday (and today somewhat) I touched on some issues relative to "calling" and pastoral ministry. I didn't say all that could be said, nor did I say what I did say necessarily well, but nonetheless I hope it was helpful (it was to me).

Tonight, then, in keeping with my intentions from the other day, I want to address the issue of "gifts" and pastoral ministry. And, while I intended at first to focus on the indispensable nature of gifts for pastoral ministry (something I indeed believe), I thought it necessary after a dose of Mr. Spurgeon to come at this issue from another angle.

In Spurgeon's Lectures to My Students (necessary reading for those preparing for ministry or already pastoring), he has a chapter devoted to "The Call to the Ministry." Part way through, he quotes some material from John Newton that the latter had addressed to a friend on the issue of pastoral ministry. The following segment of that quote is relevant for our discussion of gifts.

Newton writes:
"Besides the affectionate desire and readiness to preach, there must in due season appear some competent sufficiency as to gifts, knowledge, and utterance. Surely, if the Lord sends a man to teach others, He will furnish him with the means. I believe may have intended well in setting up for preachers, who yet went beyond or before their call in so doing. The main difference between a minister and a private Christian, seems to consist in those ministerial gifts, which are imparted to him, not for his own sake, but for the edification of others. But then I say these are to appear in due season; the are not to be expected instantaneously, but gradually, in the use of proper means. They are necessary for the discharge of the ministry, but not necessary as prerequisites to warrant our desires after it. In your case [Newton is addressing his friend here], you are young, and have time before you; therefore, I think you need not as yet perplex yourself with enquiring [sic] if you have these gifts already. It is sufficient if your desire is fixed, and you are willing, in the way of prayer and diligence, to wait upon the Lord for them; as yet you need them not."

A few thoughts based on this that I find wise, encouraging, instructive, and challenging:
1. Gifts are necessary for ministry
2. Gifts do not necessarily manifest themselves immediately in a would-be pastor
3. Gifts will eventually, however, be manifest in one truly called
4. Gifts are not for the shepherd, but for the sheep
5. Gifts, or more accurately the lack thereof, are not to be a cause of anxiety in one who begins to aspire to the office
6. Gifts develop gradually
7. Gifts require "prayer and diligence" to develop
8. Gifts are from the Lord; wait on him

Waiting with you all,
aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment